ShakshukaPrep: 30 min Servings: 4by Meera Nalavadi21 recipes>
A tasty spicy brunch recipe made with tomato vegetable sauce and topped with poached eggs
- 8 free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika or harrisa
- 3 table spoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped or minced
- 1-2 large potato, boiled about 80% and carefully sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers skinned and chopped you can used jarred red peppers too
- 1 can chopped whole tomatoes about 28 oz can
- 1 medium Zucchini chopped (optional)
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Pita or French baguette
- Warm oil in a pan. Add onions,zucchini and garlic and fry till soft.
- Add cumin, paprika salt. Stir
- Next add chopped canned tomatoes and chopped red peppers. Bring to a boil and drop to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes till the sauce starts to thicken.
- If you are serving in personal cast iron pans. Spray the pan with oil and lay about 3 slices of potato and fry for 2 minutes on each side till they are slightly brown.
- Spoon the sauce over the potato slices. Make little wells in the sauce.
- Break the eggs about two per person and gently cook on a simmer for 5 minutes till the eggs have set. (I made egg white only). You can also broil them in the oven till the eggs have set.
- Serve with warm bread.
Leave a review or comment