Scottish Scones and Sausage GravyPrep: 15 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by B Innes83 recipes>
I don't know why I haven't thought of this recipe before, 2 favorite breakfast items that do go pefectly together.
- ¾ cup of milk (you can substitute buttermilk for a rich alternative)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups flour – sifted +2-3 Tbs extra for kneading and rolling
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of butter = 5 1/3 tbs.cut to small cubes
- 1 Tbs shortening for sheet pan
- Sausage Gravy:
- 1 # loose sausage
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Place the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse a few times to mix, Add the cubed butter and then pulse until you have a mixture similar to cornmeal.
- Place this mixture into a bowl and add the Milk and egg and mix until all is combined, You should have a fairly sticky mixture.
- Scoop out of the bowl onto a well floured surface dust the top with a little flour and then knead 5 or 6 times, then roll into a large ball and cut in half . Roll each half into a ball then flatten out and cut into 4 slices (Traditional recipe call for 6 slices but for this recipe a larger scone works better).
- Place the cut slices onto a lightly grease baking sheet and place into a preheated 425º oven for about 12 minutes, until they have risen and are slightly browned on top. Place onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Sausage Gravy:
- In a large saute pan on medium to medium high heat, cook the sausage until well done and broken into small pieces.
- With the the still on the heat add the flour and stir to combine with the sausage and the fat in the pan until all the raw flour is combined and cooked.
- Add the milk and stir continuously until the mixture begins to boil and become thick.
- Once thickened remove from the heat. Cut the scones in half and scoop the gravy over the top and garmish with the chopped parsley.
Leave a review or comment