Savory Wheat BreadPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 12by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Use your bread machine to make and bake a loaf or make it conventional yeast bread method. A hearty old-world style bread fragrant with dill and caraway. Slice thin and serve with cream cheese, or use for ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches. 1 1/2 pound loaf amounts listed at left below (2 pound size amounts in parenthesis.) I usually add gluten and dough enhancer to whole grain breads but they are optional.
- SAVORY WHEAT BREAD FOR 1 1/2 (OR 2 POUND LOAVES)
- 1 cup water (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups bread flour ( 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dough enhancer (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder (2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds ( 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
- If making and baking in a bread machine: Measure and add ingredients to bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Select whole wheat or basic white cycle; do not use delay cycle function. (I like to use my bread machine as a dough mixer and proofer, but interrupt the cycle right before it starts baking so I can shape and bake the dough in a standard loaf pan in my oven. This way I have more control over the final rise and baking to my liking, and the bread slices are traditional shapes.)
- If baking conventionally, bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack for 1 hour or more before slicing.
- The recipe for 1 1/2 lb loaf yields 12 slices, the one for 2 lb yields 16 slices.
Leave a review or comment