Rolled Sugar CookiesPrep: 15 min Cook: 12 min Servings: 4by MarthaW10 recipes>
This is a great sugar cookie recipe that I use for every holiday. Just change the cookie cutters and decorations and you have beautiful cookies to give to friends and family (if they last that long!). This is a recipe by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
- 12 Tbsp (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl cream sugar and butter with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg, lemon zest, vanilla and beat until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and salt together.
- With mixer on low gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture until blended.
- Add a few drops of water, if necessary, until dough pulls away from bowl.
- Scrape dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and use wrap, not fingers, to press dough together to form a thick, flat, disk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 convection).
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough about 1/8" thick for small cookies and 1/4" thick for large cookies.
- Transfer to cookie sheets and chill a few minutes before baking.
- Bake 8-12 minutes for small cookies, 12-15 minutes for large, until lightly browned on edges.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely before decorating with royal icing. (See Royal Icing Recipe)
Leave a review or comment