Rice Pilaf With Spinach And Caramelized Onions
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lrg onions halved, sliced
- 1 lrg carrot coarsely grated
- 1 tsp grnd cumin
- 1 x garlic clove chopped
- 1 1/2 c. arborio rice
- (or possibly medium-grain white rice)
- 4 c. canned low-salt chicken broth
- (or possibly vegetable broth)
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach - (6 ounce)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in heavy large wide pot over medium heat. Add in onions; saute/fry till tender and deep brown, about 20 min. Transfer 1/2 c. onion slices to small bowl and reserve. Add in carrot, cumin, and garlic to onions in pot; stir 1 minute. Stir in rice. Add in broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer till rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed, about 15 min.
- Stir spinach into rice mix; cover and cook till spinach wilts, about 2 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pilaf to bowl; top with reserved 1/2 c. onion slices.
- This recipe yields 6 (side-dish) servings.
Leave a review or comment