Rice and Beans Southwest StylePrep: 20 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 6by Jo10 recipes>
This recipe is adapted from one I found along time ago in a Richard Simmons diet cookbook.
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- ½ can of green chilies, diced
- 1 cup of dry black beans
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 2 tab olive oil
- Dash chili powder
- Dash cumin
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch of cilantro chopped
- In a pressure cooker place black beans in 3 cups of water. Set to low pressure and cook for 45 minutes. Remove beans and rinse. Make sure they are soft.
- In a wok or skillet add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When hot add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until onion is translucent. Then add mushrooms , cilantro and green chilies and cook for 3 more minutes. Add chicken broth and beans. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until carrots and celery are no longer crispy.
- Serve on a bed of brown rice. Enjoy!
Leave a review or comment