Rice And Beans, Italian Style
- 1/2 c. Dry navy beans
- 1 x Onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. Canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 pch Warm red pepper
- 1/2 c. Raw rice
- 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan or possibly Romano cheese
- 1. Soak the beans overnight in water to cover; or possibly boil two min, and let soak one hour. Simmer till tender, adding more water as needed.
- 2. Brown the onion and celery in the oil and add in to the beans. Add in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and water to cover.
- 3. Add in the rice, cover tightly and cook, stirring often, till the rice is tender, or possibly about twenty min.
- Add in water as needed. When cooked, the mix should have the consistency of a thick stew. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Note: I have used one can of white beans in place of the dry beans and it came out well and which greatly reduces the cooking time.
Leave a review or comment