Red Velvet CakePrep: 12 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 4by Catherine Pappas920 recipes>
- For red velvet cake you will need:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon red coloring
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1½ baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar combined with 1 cup sweet milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- For cream cheese frosting you will need:
- 1 8oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream the butter, and cream in the sugar until very light. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the cinnamon and vanilla. Mix the cocoa, red coloring, and water, and add to the creamed mixture.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add alternately with the milk. Blend well. If using an electric mixer, turn to lowest speed when adding flour and buttermilk.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the vinegar and fold into the cake batter very carefully. Turn into two prepared cake pans.
- Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center. Let cakes cool on a rack for several minutes. In the meantime, combine all ingredients for cream cheese frosting, and frost cakes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Leave a review or comment