Red Velvet Cake
Although the debate continues, my opinion is this cake should ONLY be made with fluffy white icing. A wonderful colorful beautiful cake.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 oz. red food coloring – I use Wilton’s paste food coloring to make whatever color I want. Just add until you are happy with the color of your batter.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda sprinkled over 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- Fluffy White Icing:
- 1 C. Milk
- 1 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1/4 C. flour
- 3/4 C. Shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla - to make it real white, use clear vanilla.
- If you want to color this frosting, the best type of coloring to use is the Wilton’s paste food coloring. Add until desired color is achieved.
- Cake Preparation:
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Heat oven to 350Â°. Make a paste of cocoa and melted chocolate, stir in food coloring.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add chocolate mixture. Mix well.
- Sift flour & salt together..
- Add alternately with buttermilk..
- Beat after each addition.
- Stir in baking soda and vinegar mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cakes bounce back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Icing Preparation:
- Combine milk & flour & cook until thick (like a white sauce) Stir constantly. Set aside to cool. Cream sugar & shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla & cooled cream sauce. Beat until icing becomes stiff.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake.
Leave a review or comment