Red Enchiladas with Cream Cheese and Pecan FillingPrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by Marlin Rinehart25 recipes>
This is an interesting and delicious variation of traditional enchiladas.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ¾ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped green onion, tops and bottoms
- I recipe red chili sauce with cream (Recipe follows)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- RED CHILI SAUCE WITH CREAM:
- 3 cups canned or homemade mild red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of oregano
- ½ cup heavy cream, unwhipped
- TO MAKE SAUCE:
- In a shallow saucepan whose diameter is larger than a tortilla, combine the canned red enchilada sauce, cumin and oregano. Heat until it starts to boil, lower heat and simmer a minute or two. Stir in tomato sauce, then cream, and heat through. Remove from heat.
- TO ASSEMBLE ENCHILADAS:
- Cream the cream cheese and stir in green onions and pecans. Heat a small amount of cooking oil (about Â¼-inch) in a small skillet, slightly larger than a tortilla. Place a tortilla in the hot oil, only long enough to soften, and remove to a plate. Proceed with remaining tortillas, stacking the tortillas to keep them warm and soft. Then dip a heated tortilla into the heated red chili sauce; remove the dipped tortilla to a plate and place a tablespoon or more of the cream cheese filling along the center portion of the tortilla, spreading along the diameter. Fold tortilla in half and roll up. Place enchilada in a buttered baking dish. Proceed with remaining tortillas. Pour red chili sauce over the enchiladas, top with grated cheese, and bake at 325Â° F., 10 to 15 minutes until heated through and Jack cheese is melted.
Leave a review or comment