Red Beans and Rice
Comfort food from New Orleans.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 slices bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 ½ cups home-cooked red beans, plus 1 ½ cups bean cooking liquid
- ¼ tsp. hot sauce (such as Texas Pete)
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While rice cooks, brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- To bacon fat in skillet, add onion, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning, thyme, and salt. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in red beans and reserved cooking liquid, cooked bacon, and hot sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes longer, or until beans are heated through.
- Serve beans over hot cooked rice.
Leave a review or comment