Prawn KarahiPrep: 25 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 4by Sonali Pradhan6 recipes>
Celebrated Mother's Day with this delectable and extremely flavorful Prawn Karahi cuisine . Karahi/kadhai/korai/kadai is basically a type of circular, deep cooking pots which resembles "wok" with rounded bottoms and is made of cast iron, used to shallow fry fish, meat, sweet or snacks, can even prepare stew/gravies. Now a days they are available in different materials like copper and stainless steel, also available as flat bottomed pans. The name of the dish basically originated after this utensil , as it is usually cooked in a"karahi". It is not a compulsion to prepare the dish in this particular utensil, you can use your usual ones!!!
- 1 lb. of Prawns
- 4 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 " piece of ginger
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp peppercorns, roasted
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, roasted
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper, adjust heat level to suit your taste
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves/kasoori methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup of coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- Remove the head, deshell the prawns, wash thoroughly. (If you want to avoid cutting and cleaning by yourself ,use the frozen ones readily available in supermarket or if you want to use fresh prawns ask your fish monger to do the same for you.) Marinade the prawns with a pinch of salt, keep aside.
- In the meantime dry roast the cumin, coriander and peppercorns separately, blend in together to make a powder of all the three spices.
- Make a paste of ginger and garlic, heat a tbsp of oil in a karhai or in your regular pan, add in the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute or so. Next slide in the prawns and fry for a minute or two on each side until it turns a peach color. Remove the prawns from the pan, keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat another tbsp of oil, add the chopped tomato and salt, let cook covered on medium high for a few minutes till it gets soft. The trick to cook onion and tomatoes faster is to add a little salt to it.
- Next add turmeric powder, crushed red pepper, powder of all the three spices and dried fenugreek leaves, let cook by constant stirring for another minute or two , or until the raw smell of the spices vanish.
- Slide in the prawns and let cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Before removing from the heat add garam masala powder , chopped coriander leaves and chopped chilies, let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze 2 tbsp of lemon juice on top, serve hot with Rice/chappatis/naan.
- TIP: Preground spices can be used in place of whole spices, but the awesome flavor of the freshly ground spices brings adds a different dimension to the taste and texture of the dish.
Leave a review or comment