Potato Chana MasalaPrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 6by Enda Love75 recipes>
Baked potatoes night after night can suck the life out of any dinner creation. Step outside your comfort zone and use these spuds to make a dish inspired by the cuisine of India
- • 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- • 1½ tsp (7 mL) each Suraj coriander and cumin seeds
- • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and turmeric
- • 2 large onions, chopped
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- • 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (skin on)
- • 1 medium potato, scrubbed and cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (skin on)
- • 1 can (540 mL) Suraj chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- • 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- • 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- • 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat; cook coriander, cumin, salt and turmeric for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Stir in onions; cook for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) water if pan is too dry, or until softened.
- Stir in garlic and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet and regular potatoes; cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes and a little water if mixture is too thick. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in coriander and lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Leave a review or comment