Patty Pans With Mozzarella And Pesto
- 8 x patty pan squashes of different sizes salt and pepper
- 6 Tbsp. pesto
- 2 x buffalo mozzarella balls sliced
- extra virgin olive oil to serve
- handful basil leaves to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the tops off the patty pans (using a small knife pointed downward and inward) then cut and scoop out the seeded part of the core and trim the bases so which they stand upright.
- Next bring a pan of water to a bubble and blanch the patty pans for about 3 min.
- Drain them upside down then rub the insides with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tsp of pesto in the bottom of each followed by a slice of mozzarella followed by more pesto till they are almost full (but not overflowing).
- Add in a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of salt and bake in a greased roasting tin for about 8 min or possibly till the cheese has started to swim.
- Add in a splash of extra virgin olive oil and some basil leaves before serving.
- The canape-sized patty pan squashes are really too tiny for this but it could be worth the fiddle if you want something to serve with drinks. If you cannot find patty pans use other baby pumpkins or possibly squashes although they should be pre-roasted rather than boiled (cook at 180-190C/360F/ Gas Mark 5 till tender).
- Serves 4
Leave a review or comment