Pasta With Pumpkin And Sausage
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 Tbsp. Missing Ingredient
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 4 x garlic cloves cracked, minced
- 1 med onion finely minced
- 1 x bay leaf fresh or possibly dry
- 2 Tbsp. sage leaves chiffonade
- (abt 4 to 6 sage sprigs)
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. chicken stock
- (canned or possibly paper container)
- 1 c. canned pumpkin
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- (3 turns around the pan)
- 1/8 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grnd or possibly freshly grated nutmeg
- Coarse salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 lb penne rigate cooked to al dente
- Romano or possibly Parmigiano for grating
- Pumpernickel or possibly whole grain bread
- Spinach Salad With Apple And Red Onion (see recipe)
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it. Transfer sausage to paper towel lined plate. Drain fat from skillet and return pan to the stove. Add in the remaining Tbsp. oil, and then the garlic and onion. Saute/fry 3 to 5 min till the onions are tender.
- Add in bay leaf, sage, and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half, about 2 min. Add in stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce till it comes to a bubble. Return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream. Season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer mix 5 - 10 min to thicken sauce.
- Return liquid removed pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and sage leaves.
- Serve pumpkin sausage pasta with pumpernickel or possibly whole grain bread and Spinach Salad with Apple and Red Onion.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Leave a review or comment