Panera / Saint Louis Bread Co's Grilled Steak Salad
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb one-inch-thick beef tenderloin (abt 6 steaks)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 x sourdough baguette
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- Blue cheese sprinkles (optional)
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves - (10 ounce)
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 can mandarin oranges - (16 ounce)
- 1 c. crumbled blue cheese - (abt 4 ounce)
- 3/4 c. sliced almonds - (abt 3 ounce)
- 1/2 med red onion sliced thin rings
- Panera Bread Poppyseed Salad Dressing as needed
- Grilled Steak: Rub both sides of each steak lightly with vegetable oil, and then season with salt and pepper. Grill steaks on one side, turn and finish grilling to desired doneness. (About 5 min on each side for medium rare.) Transfer steaks to platter to stand till cold, about 15 min. Cover and chill till well chilled. Just before serving, slice each steak diagonally into thin pcs.
- If you prefer, coat the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. When the oil is warm but not smoking, add in the steaks and cook on both sides to desired doneness. (About 5 min on each side for medium rare.) Prepare the steaks for serving as above.
- Giant Crouton: Cut bread into slices 3/4- to 1-inch thick. Place the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake slowly in a 300 degree oven till they are lightly browned and crisp (approximately 25 to 30 min). For extra flavor, lightly brush each slice with extra virgin olive oil after they have baked for 15 min. If you wish, sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over the slices for the last minute or possibly so of baking, just till the cheese softens.
- Salad: Mix all the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Add in dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad equally and arrange on six plates. Top with slices of grilled beef. Add in a giant crouton to the side of each plate and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: Jazz up summer dining with this entree salad featuring succulent grilled tenderloins of beef, crisp greens, oranges and nuts, and our own Poppyseed Salad Dressing. Crunchy Sourdough croutons are a harmonious complement.
Leave a review or comment