Panera / Saint Louis Bread Co's Hearty Cheese Soup
- 5 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine
- 2 med carrots minced
- 2 x celery stalks minced
- 1/2 x green bell pepper minced
- 1 med onion minced
- 1 c. minced mushrooms
- 1/2 c. minced cooked ham or possibly bacon
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 4 c. lowfat milk
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp grnd mustard
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 6 x Panera sourdough bread bowls
- In a large, heavy stockpot, heat butter or possibly margarine. Add in minced vegetables and ham or possibly bacon and cook over medium heat till vegetables are slightly tender, about 10 min.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, about three min. Add in broth and continue stirring till slightly thickened.
- Add in lowfat milk and spices. Add in cheese gradually, stirring till cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, don't allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve piping warm in a hollowed sourdough bread bowls.
- Comments: A thick, creamy soup loaded with minced vegetables is the perfect thing to ladle into freshly baked sourdough bread bowls from Panera Bread.
Leave a review or comment