Okra and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, for frying
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups diced tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add bacon, butter, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- SautÃ© until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, tomatoes, water, chicken base and okra. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve with steamed white rice.
Leave a review or comment