Never Fail Chocolate CakePrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 12by Glenn37 recipes>
One of the easiest, and moistest chocolate cakes you will ever bake. My grandmother, Eva Koehler, called it her "never fail" recipe. It is nearly impossible to screw up. She always topped it with peanut butter icing (which is simply a white icing with peanut butter mixed in to taste).
- 2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 4 tbs. Cocoa (we prefer Wilbur over Hershey)
- 1 cup Shortening (Crisco preferred)
- 2 cups thick (spoiled) Milk or Buttermilk
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 cups Flour (scant)
- Cream Shortening and Brown Sugar.
- Mix Baking Soda and Milk.
- Mix all ingredients together adding Flour last. Mixture should be pourable.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before topping with Peanut Butter icing.
Leave a review or comment