Nanny BurgersPrep: 15-20 min Cook: 40-45 min Servings: 10by Denise Sherin115 recipes>
This is a simple dish my Nanny (grandmother) always made and my Mom made them for us, and now I make them for my son. They are just hamburgers baked in brown gravy. But the trick is to flour the burgers and brown them before baking. It makes the burgers soft and juicy but it helps keep the gravy thickened during baking. We serve them with buttered egg noodles and sometimes mashed potatoes and your veggie of choice. This is Nanny's original recipe, but I have changd it up from time to time by adding mushrooms to the gravy and sometimes a little horseradish to the gravy for a salisbury flavor.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- flour for coating
- veg oil for browning
- 1 -12oz jar of prepared Brown gravy
- 3-4 0.87oz packets Brown gravy mix
- water for gravy packets
- Preheat oven 350
- Spread the jarred gravy in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan
- In a lg bowl mix beef, eggs,onion,bread crumbs,milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper and worchestershire. Once mixed well form into hamburger patties, I usually get 10 burgers.
- Flour the the burgers well and fry in veg. oil over med heat 3 or 4 burgers at a time brown well on both sides. approx 5 to 6 mins each side. Burgers will not be fully cooked, they will finish in the oven.
- Lay the burgers on top of the gravy in the baking dish.
- In a med saucepan mix gravy and water according to package directions bring to a boil and thicken, pour over the burgers
- Cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 350 for approx 45 mins. until bubbling and burgers are cooked and tender. let cool slightly and serve over buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.
Leave a review or comment