My French Canadian Onion SoupPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Micheline119 recipes>
This recipe is easy, tasty and comforting. I make a meal with this soup. I use OXO or KNORR cubes but you can use any type of beef and chicken stock or bouillon cubes you have available in your area.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 3 beef stock or bouillon cubes
- 3 chicken stock or bouillon cubes
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 6 slices toasted, crusty bread
- 6 slices mozzarella or Gruyère cheese
- 4 tbsps grated parmesan or romano cheese
- Add the onions in a large pot or saucepan and sautÃ© over low heat until golden. Dissolve the beef and chicken cubes in boiling water. Gradually stir into the onions. Add the pepper and instant coffee. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or so, until the onions are fully cooked, without burning. Adjust seasoning. Pour into oven-proof bowls. Place a toasted bread slice on top of each soup and cover with a slice of mozzarella or GruyÃ¨re cheese. Place under the broiler in the oven until the cheese has melted and golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle parmesan or romano cheese on top and serve immediately.
Leave a review or comment