Moroccan Bean Dip - Bessara
If you like hummus, you will also like this simple and tasty bean dip. Fava beans are preferred, but Lima beans work well too. You can thin down the dip with chicken or vegetable stock to make a tasty bean soup.
- 1/2 lb dried fava or lima beans
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (add more if you prefer the dip silkier)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1-2 lemons juiced
- Soak beans overnight in cold water
- Drain beans. Pinch skins off with thumb and finger if using Fava beans.
- Put beans in pot with garlic and cover with water. Simmer for 1.5 hours till beans are tender.
- Reserve some liquid and drain beans.
- Puree beans, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and half of paprika and cumin in blender or food processor. Add some of reserved liquid if puree is to thick.
- Sprinkle with rest of paprika & cumin and with cayenne.
- Server with pita chips or pita bread and garnish with lemon wedges if desired.
Leave a review or comment