Milk Calendar Hearty Sweet Potato Au GratinPrep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 10by Homemade & Yummy154 recipes>
This Hearty Sweet Potato Au Gratin is nutritious and delicious. One of the many great recipes in the 2018 #MilkCalendar from Dairy Farmers of Canada.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 18% cream
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme(chopped)
- 1/2 cup Canadian cheddar(shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375º F, and grease a 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes and carefully slice into 1/8 inch thick rounds. Set aside.
- Grate/shred cheese. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE CREAM SAUCE:
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and salt. Stir 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until combined.
- Gradually add cream, whisking until combined and smooth.
- Bring to a boil, and heat until thickened (2-3 minutes), whisking Occasionally. Remove from heat when done.
- TO LAYER THE SWEET POTATO AU GRATIN:
- Layer 1/2 the potatoes into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter 1/2 the chopped thyme on top.
- Top with 1/2 the cream sauce.
- Repeat with the potatoes, sauce and thyme.
- Press down slightly to even out layers and get all potatoes covered in cream.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take dish out of the oven, and remove foil.
- Sprinkle grated cheese (and additional thyme if you like), and bake uncovered for 15 minutes until top is bubbly and deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Leave a review or comment