Mexican Chocoflan (Pastel Imposible -- Impossible Cake)Prep: 20 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 10by Kathleen is Cooking in Mexico7 recipes>
A chocolate cake baked with flan on the top. When done, the flan is now on the bottom, but when the cake is inverted, it is back on top! A great favorite at Mexican fiestas, this cake is delicious and beautiful.
- 1/2 cup ( 5.4 oz./154 grams) cajeta
- 2 large eggs, cool room temperature
- 6 oz. (180 ml.) evaporated milk
- 6 oz. (180 ml.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1 3/4 cups (7 oz./200 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (7 oz./200 grams) sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/114 grams) butter at cool room temperature
- 9 fluid oz. (260 ml.) buttermilk (or plain yogurt thinned with milk)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (1.2 oz./33 grams) cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. (180 C.). Butter a tube cake pan (8â³ across and 4â³ high/200 mm. x 100 mm.) and spread cajeta on bottom of pan.
- Heat a small sauce pan of water for hot water bath to pour into a pan larger than cake pan.
- Prepare flan mixture by blending eggs, evaporated milk, condensed milk and Kahlua. Set aside.
- In standing mixer (or use a hand-held electric mixer), mix butter and sugar for 2 minutes on medium-high speed. Scrape down sides of bowl, and add egg and Kahlua. Beat for 30 seconds.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Add half of dry ingredients, alternating with half of buttermilk, until all is incorporated into butter mixure. Beat for 1 minute on medium-high speed.
- Spoon batter into cake pan over cajeta, and level with a spatula.
- Pour flan mixture over cake batter, pouring over a spoon to gentle the pressure (see photo below).
- Set cake pan in a larger pan, and place on oven rack. Add boiling water to large pan to a depth of 1â³.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until cake tests dry with a wooden toothpick. (Cake will pull away from sides of pan after it is removed from oven.)
- Remove from water bath and cool on a rack to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, run a thin knife around inside of pan sides and invert onto cake plate. If any cajeta sticks to the pan, spread onto the cake.
Leave a review or comment