Mediterranean Delight FalafelPrep: 10 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 4by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
This Falafel recipe is my idea of tasty, comfort food - just load up the tortillas with falafel, grilled veggies and tuck in!!! These versatile chickpea patties can be served just like that with any spicy dip or make a great vegetarian filling for tortillas and pita breads. Falafel is a common dish eaten throughout the Middle East, usually made of chickpeas, fava beans or both. I usually love to tuck in falafels either inside tortilla wraps along with sauces or inside my pita pocket sandwiches.
- For the Falafel:
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 1/2 Tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp Harissa (see recipe here)
- ½ bunch coriander stalks, reserving the leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 - 2 Tbsp plain flour, for shaping patties
- Salt, as per taste
- Oil, for shallow frying
- For serving:
- 4 tortilla wraps
- Red and green lettuce leaves
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- Sliced onion
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt or Plain Yoghurt with Pomegranate seeds stirred in
- Drain the cooked chickpeas in a colander until there is no excess water left in the chickpeas.
- Put chickpeas into the food processor along with onion, garlic, coriander stalks, harissa, lemon juice and spices.
- Blitz until combined without using any water, scraping down the sides of the processor if needed. The mixture will not be smooth, but it should not have large chunks.
- Scrape out the mixture into a clean bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chickpea mixture from the refrigerator. Add enough oil to a large saute pan so it reaches 1/2-inch up the sides and heat it over medium-high heat
- Meanwhile, drop spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture onto a plate with 1/4 cup flour. Roll into balls on the floured plate and press gently into patties of about about 1.5cm thickness.
- Shallow fry in hot pan for 5 minutes on each side or until golden on crisp on both sides and drain on absorbent papers.
- For serving, Pop the tortillas into the microwave for 45 seconds while you slice onion and cherry tomatoes.
- Then take with the falafels to the table, scattering everything with the rest of the coriander leaves and yoghurt dip.
- Let everyone assemble their own wraps, and serve with red harissa, if you like.
Leave a review or comment