Mediterranean Beef Minestrone SoupPrep: 20 min Cook: 4 hours Servings: 12by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
This feeds a crowd and then some. Hearty and healthy. Start this slow simmering soup early afternoon to have it ready for dinner, so there's time to develop the flavors. Or better yet, cook a day in advance and let the flavors sing next day. I take time to cut the meat and veggies in small pieces as this is a soup, not a stew, and the extra time is just a labor of love!
- 3 quarts water
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef for soup, cut into 1/2" bite-size pieces (see photo #2. I used ½" thick bottom round steak)
- 1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes, petite diced or crushed
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablepoons beef base or equivalent beef bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less, to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup carrots, diced (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup celery diced (2 large stalks)
- 6 ounces small shell macaroni uncooked
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
- Parmesan cheese, fresh shaved or grated
- Pour water into 6 quart or larger soup kettle.
- Add beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, beef base or bouillon cubes, onions, garlic, basil, salt, black and red pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and celery; simmer covered 1 hour more, until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add green beans and simmer 7 minutes covered.
- Stir in macaroni and cook at a slow boil for 8 minutes or to al dente.
- Add kidney beans and parsley. Heat 2 or more minutes until soup is steaming hot. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Pass Parmesan cheese to garnish top.
- Yield: About 4 1/2 to 5 quarts. Generous main dish servings for 12, or about 18 cup-size servings.
Leave a review or comment