Mango Salad with Grilled Shrimp
Adapted from Mnemba Island Lodge epicurious cookbook
- For mango salad
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (4-inch-long) fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced, including seeds
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- For shrimp
- 16 jumbo shrimp (1 1/4 pound), shelled, leaving tail and adjoining first segment attached, and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño chile, minced, including seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Accompaniment: lime wedges
- Special equipment: 16 (8-inch) wooden skewers (optional)
- Make mango salad:
- Whisk together brown sugar and lime juice in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved, then whisk in red chile, shallot, cilantro, and mint. Add mangoes, tossing gently.
- Grill shrimp:
- Beginning at thick end, insert a skewer lengthwise through each shrimp to straighten. Transfer to a tray.
- Prepare grill.
- Whisk together oil, jalapeÃ±o, cumin, and salt, then brush on skewered shrimp until well coated. Grill shrimp, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Toss mango salad again and divide among 4 plates. Arrange 4 shrimp on top of each serving.
Leave a review or comment