Malay Curried tripe recipePrep: 20 min Cook: 3hrs hours Servings: 6by Peter Brown100 recipes>
An unusual way to cook Tripe .This from the cape Malay culture in South Africa
- 1.5kg dressed sliced tripe, washed very well
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2½ cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mild korma curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 4 tablespoons tamarind
- 1 bay leaf
- Put the washed tripe in a large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and add the salt.
- Place over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer till tender.
- Drain well, reserving 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. and set aside.
- Put the oil, onion, garlic and ginger in a saucepan large enough to eventually take the tripe.
- Place over a medium heat and fry until lightly golden, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the spices, tomato purÃ©e, tamarind and bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved cooking water and add the sliced tripe. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve very hot with plain rice.
Leave a review or comment