Low Carb Homemade BreadCook: 35-40 min Servings: 20by Pam Solomon67 recipes>
Who doesn't love the smell of fresh bread baking? Yum! It has to be one of my favorite smells. I have tried several times to make a really good loaf of low carb bread, but wasn't thrilled with the final outcome. After several failed attempts I finally got it right! This recipe makes a very tender bread with a light wheat taste. I used my bread machine to do the mixing and kneading, but you can do it the old fashioned way, by hand. If you use your bread machine, remove the dough after the kneading cycle. Don't let it rise in your machine, it will not rise well a second time.
- 1-1/2 cups my Baking Mix
- 1 cup flax
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 cup wheat germ (finely ground)
- 1/2 tsp each guar and xanthan gums (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbls active dry or bread machine yeast
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C)
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tbls oil
- If your oven has a proof setting turn it on to heat the oven. If not, you can proof the dough in your microwave, I'll tell you how in a minute. In a microwave safe bowl, heat water and half & half until warm but not too hot. Stir in the yeast until completely dissolved. Add the oil, sugar and beaten eggs. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the remaining dry ingredients and stir well. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, adding more Baking Mix if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, but be careful not to add too much flour. The more flour you add the heavier the bread will be. The dough should be a little tacky. Cover the dough and let rest for 15 minutes. Prepare a large l0" bread pan with non-stick spray. Oil the surface of the dough and add it to the pan, cover with a clean towel and place in your oven to rise. If you need to do the microwave proof method, take a coffee mug filled with water and bring it to a boil in the microwave, leave the mug inside and add the bread pan. Let the dough rise ONLY until it has doubled in volume, DO NOT let the bread rise too long, it will fall during baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, carefully place the bread pan inside and cook for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. To test for doneness, tap on the top of the crust, it should have a hollow sound. Take the bread out of the pan, place on a cooling rack and allow to cool until no longer hot before slicing. When completely cool, store in a tightly sealed container or wrap it with plastic wrap. This recipe makes about 20 slices of bread, about 4.75 carbs per slice. I multiplied this recipe by 1.5 and got two large 10" loaves, 40 slices with 3.8 carbs per slice. I hope you enjoy this delicious bread!
- *Don't punch this dough down, it will not rise well a second time.
Leave a review or comment