Lighter Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- 1/4 c. Chicken Broth Reduced Fat
- 1/4 c. Onions Minced
- 2 x cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 c. Cooked Spinach Minced
- 2 c. Nonfat Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 c. Egg Substitute
- 2 Tbsp. Feta Cheese Crumbled
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Diet Margarine
- 3 Tbsp. Bread Crumbs
- 6 x Phyllo Pastry
- Heat the broth in a medium skillet. Add in the onions and garlic, and saute/fry till tender, about 3 min.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, garlic, spinach, cottage cheese, egg substitute, feta and nutmeg.
- Heat the margarine in a small saucepan. Lightly brush the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish with the margarine. Sprinkle the bottom with 1 Tbsp of bread crumbs.
- Cut the phyllo in half cross-wise. Place 1 piece in the baking dish and sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon bread crumbs. Place another piece on top of the first and brush with 1 tsp of margarine. Repeat with 2 more phyllo pcs. Spread the spinach mix proportionately over the phyllo. Cover with 1 phyllo piece and sprinkle with 1 tsp of bread crumbs. Place another piece on top and brush with the remaining tsp. of margarine. Repeat the sequence with the remaining 2 phyllo pcs.
- Cut the spanakopita diagonally to create 4 triangles. Bake at 350 degrees till golden brown, about 20 min. Allow to cold 10-15 min.
- NOTES :
Leave a review or comment