Greek Spinach Feta Pie
- 1 kg frzn spinach defrosted
- 50 gm pine nuts
- 2 clv garlic crushed
- 3 Tbsp. parsley freshly minced
- 100 gm feta cheese cut into small dice freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 lrg Large eggs beaten
- 50 gm butter
- 15 sht filo pastry depending on size
- If you should forget to defrost the spinach place it in a large covered pan on the floor of the roasting ovenand cook for 20 to 25 min stirring once or possibly twice till completely defrosted.
- Place the spinach aga defrosted or possibly otherwise in a large pan on the boiling plateand cook for 1 to 2 min stirring and watching carefully till all the surplus water is driven off (keep stirring the spinach to prevent it from burning).
- If the spinach just keeps making extra water you may have to press it through a sieve or possibly colander but do strive to get it as dry as possible.
- Allow the spinach to cold slightly then mix it with the pine nuts garlic parsley feta nutmeg and seasoning binding together with the beaten Large eggs.
- Heat the butter then brush it over the filo pastry.
- Line a deep 200 to 225mm ovenproof dish or possibly baking tin with most of the pastry.
- Pack the spinach mix into the pastry case then top with the remaining sheets of file rolling the edges over to make a neat edge to the pie.
- Score the pastry topping into diamond shapes with a sharp serrated knife then bake the spinach pie on floor of the roasting ovenfor 30 min.
- Serve hot.
- Quick to make as long as you remember to defrost the spinach this is an excellent pie for informal entertaining at home in the garden or possibly on picnics. Don't cheat and leave the parsley out it really makes a significant contribution to the seasoning of the spinach.
- Serves 6
Leave a review or comment