Lentil, Sausage and Vegetable StewPrep: 25 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Based loosely on Curry Lentil Soup (on this site by John Spottiswood) I took several recipe liberties considering ingredients on hand, personal preferences and desired result. More a stew than a soup by the time I was done. With the seasonings and sausage - excuse the slang - "it's a bomb!"
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 6 cups water (about)
- 5 ounces sausage (I used reduced-fat pork)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional - may not be needed if sufficient fat in sausage to saute veggies)
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped fine
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained (I used garden fresh chopped tomatoes, cooking them into the vegetable mixture)
- Salt (additional), black and/or dried red peppers to taste
- Sour cream (optional)
- Wash and rinse lentils. Place in 8-quart saucepot with 4 cups of the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to maintain a simmer, with the pan lid placed slightly ajar. Cook 15 minutes, checking water level and adding additional if needed.
- Meanwhile, break up sausage in small pieces into large frypan. Place over medium heat and cook until it begins to brown on edges and sufficient fat is released to saute vegetables (or add a tablespoon olive oil as needed.)
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, zucchini, ginger, salt, cumin and coriander seeds to sausage, sauting for 4-5 more minutes until vegetables are lightly golden brown.
- Add sausage and vegetables together with tomatoes to lentils in saucepot. Continue cooking for 15 minutes until lentils are tender, adding additional water as needed to make a stew consistency.
- Correct for seasonings. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with a dollup of sour cream.
Leave a review or comment