Jalebi RecipePrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 250by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
Jalebi Recipe, a conventional Indian sweet, which needs no defining introduction. This deep-fried pretzel like sweet – dish from India is well celebrated among the food lovers. The batter prepared with white flour defined into twisted and tangled concentric circles, deep-fried till crunchy and later dunked in saccharine sugar syrup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 3/4 cup sour yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- a pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- 2 tablespoons oil, plus more oil for deep frying
- Ingredients for the sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- a few strands of saffron
- To make the Jalebi, sift together the maida, corn flour, baking soda in a bowl.
- Add ghee and turmeric powder in the same bowl. Combine nicely.
- Add yogurt to the dry ingredients and blend them all together to make a thick batter by adding very little approximately 1/4 Cup of lukewarm water at a time. Whisk the batter nicely for 5 - 10 minutes either with your hands or using an electric blender.
- The consistency of the batter should be thick and not watery, a little thicker than dosa batter. You should be able to make a shape when piped in a piping bag.
- Cover the jalebi batter and place it in a warm place for 24 hours or overnight, till it is fermented, the batter will rise once fermentation.
- Once the batter is fermented stir the batter in a cut and fold motion to combine it once again. Make sure not to whisk it for too long once it is fermented.
- To make the sugar syrup, boil the sugar with water and saffron strands in a wide pan on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. When the sugar becomes thick and stringy of one string consistency.Turn off the heat and keep aside.
- Now to make the jalebis, preheat the oil in a wide heavy-bottomed pan ( buy it here ) for deep frying. To check whether oil is hot enough for deep frying the Jalebi drop a small portion of batter in oil and it will come rising to the top almost immediately.
- Once you have filled the piping bag, pipe spirals or concentric circles of the batter onto the medium hot oil. Fry the jalebi on medium heat until golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Once the jalebi is crisp and browned, drain the exess oil out and immediately dip the jalebi's into the hot sugar syrup.
- Let Jalebi sit in the sugar syrup for 5 minutes or so to absorb the sweet flavor.
- Serve Jalebi warm.
Leave a review or comment