Homemade Coffee Ice CreamPrep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 6by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
I adapted this recipe by one from Emeril Lagasse. I served it with a molten chocolate cake one day. We had leftovers the next day with shaved dark chocolate on top. No matter how you eat this ice cream, it is delicious!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules (french roast if you can!)
- 6 egg yolks
- Dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee granules in medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture, slow, and steady, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on a thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Follow the machine's instructions for freezing. After the ice cream is made, transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve. Garnish with chocolate curls. Makes 1 quart of ice cream
Leave a review or comment