Holiday Breakfast CasserolePrep: 15 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 12by Culinary Envy188 recipes>
Holiday Breakfast Casserole is a breeze with this all in one breakfast that has savory sausage, fluffy eggs, 2 tangy cheeses, and a crusty French bread pudding base. Make it the night before for a no fuss easy meal the next morning.
- 6 ounces French or sourdough baguette, (about 5½ cups when cubed)
- 1 (16 oz) roll of uncooked pork sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 2 (4 oz) cans green chilies
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese for the top
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and spread in the bottom of a greased 9- by 13- by 2- inch casserole dish.
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage and onion over medium heat until fully cooked and no longer pink. Remove the sausage and onion with a slotted spoon to drain the fat. Spread the cooked sausage mixture over the bread. Next, add the green onions, green chilies and the cheeses on top. Toss mixture slightly.
- Stir together the half-and-half, heavy cream, eggs, dry mustard, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Pour this mixture over the bread mixture. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the covered casserole until set and slightly golden, about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and add the ½ cup cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to set for 15 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment