Herb Monkey BreadPrep: 10 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 10by Kelly Christensen59 recipes>
From Shavout recipe book: "I love to watch guests devour this loaf. even though it looks and tastes homemade, it's assembled with packaged frozen bread dough. They rave so much that I am almost embarrassed to tell them. Prep time: 10 minutes Rise time: 45 minutes Bake time: 30-40 minutes Advanced prep: Bread is best made as close to serving as possible
- Two loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough thawed according to package directions (usually sold in 3 pound package)
- 1 stick butter (or 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds, divided
- Grease or spray with non stick spray, a 10 inch tube pan with a removable bottom
- To Assemble Bread: Place thawed bread on a lightly floured board. Divide each loaf into quarters and cut each into quarters again, making 16 pieces per loaf. Shape into balls and place 16 of them in bottom of prepared pan. Melt butter with garlic and brush half of it over rolls. In a small bowl, combine parsley, basil, oregano and thyme. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon over rolls. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese and 1/2 Tbsp. sesame seeds. Arrange remaining rolls over. (there will be a space between them). Stir remaining herbs into butter and brush over rolls. Top with remaining Parmesan and sesame seeds. Cover with damp cloth, place in a warm, draft free place and let rise 45 minutes or until double in bulk, almost to top of pan.
- To Bake: Place rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread pan on baking sheet to catch any drippings and bake for 30-40 minutes, remove sides of pan and lift bread out. Serve warm. Makes 8-10 servings.
Leave a review or comment