Hearty and Yummy, Heart Healthy Oatmeal With Berries PrintFriendlyPrep: 8 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 1by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of homemade oatmeal in the morning. It fills you up for hours. I’ve added a flavorful step of toasting the oats first before cooking in boiling water. In addition, I’m adding creamy vanilla soy milk, vanilla, cinnamon and fiber rich berries to create a wonderful flavor. Made this way, one serving has 8 grams of fiber! Try these additions or get creative with your own. What a great way to be start off your day healthy!
- ½ cup Quaker rolled oats or your favorite
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- ¼-½ cup light vanilla soy milk (I like Silk Light Vanilla Soy milk), fat-free milk or light almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 2 packages sugar substitute
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries
- 1. In a nonstick saucepan, add oats and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to toast. Stir often. Add boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer on low for 5 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Stir in Â¼ cup soy milk, vanilla and continue to simmer for about 3 minutes, until desired consistency. Add more soy milk, if desired.
- 2. Stir in brown sugar or Splenda and cinnamon.
- 3. Spoon into serving bowl and top with berries
Leave a review or comment