Chicken Soup with Vegetables and Mini Pasta Shells
The perfect winter soup, just right to chase away the colds, packed with goodness and vitality.
- Chicken Soup with Vegetables and Mini Pasta Shells.
- For the chicken.
- 1 4lb (ish) chicken
- 2 lemons
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary and parsley tied together
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of juniper berries
- 1 cup of water.
- For the soup.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 leeks, thoroughly washed and finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cumin
- a hearty shake of Worcestershire sauce
- 32 oz of chicken broth
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 packet of mini pasta shells.
- Heat the oven to 325 F
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, rub it thoroughly with olive oil, salt, pepper and cumin, stuff it with a cup up lemon.
- Pour a cup of water around the chicken, add the other cut up lemon, herbs and juniper berries to the water.
- Cover the bird with aluminum foil fairly tightly and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile make the soup.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil, add the chopped onion and saute for a good 8 minutes or so, just don't let them burn.
- Add the garlic, saute for a further 2 minutes, then add the leeks, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper, cumin and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and add the broth.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover until all the veggies are well cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Cook the pasta shells, toss in a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper so they don't stick together and reserve.
- Add the frozen peas to the soup, they will cook through themselves, along with the chicken. Add the a grinding of black pepper, a sprinkling of fresh parsley and the pasta just before serving. Offer Parmesan if you wish.
Leave a review or comment