Ham Hock And Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. Small-diced onions
- 1 c. Small-diced celery
- 1 c. Small-diced carrots Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 6 x Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 quart Chicken stock
- 3 x Smoked ham hocks - (to 4)
- 1 lb Orange lentils
- 2 Tbsp. Minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add in the oil. When the oil is warm, add in the onions, celery, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute/fry for 4 min. Add in the garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Saute/fry for 1 minute. Add in the ham hocks and stock. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook about 1 hour, or possibly till the hocks are tender.
- Add in the lentils and continue cook for 25 to 30 min or possibly till the lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Reseason with salt and pepper if needed. Remove the ham hocks and remove the meat. Add in the ham back into the soup. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and serve with crusty bread.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment