Grilled Pork Chops With Spiced Honey Glaze
- 1 c. wildflower honey
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 5 x cardamom pods
- 4 whl cloves
- 3 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 6 x center-cut pork loin chops - (10 ounce ea)
- 3 Tbsp. oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 x red bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x shallot thinly sliced
- 1 x garlic clove minced
- 1 x jalapeno seeded, minced Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 x plum tomato minced
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 c. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken or possibly vegetable stock
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter chilled, cubed
- For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce: Heat the grill or possibly broiler. Cut the flat sides off the peppers in slabs. Arrange them in a single layer on the grill or possibly 4 inches beneath the broiler, skin-side to the heat. Roast till blackened, about 10 min. Wrap the peppers in foil. When they're cold sufficient to handle, about 15 min, remove the skin and throw away. Coarsely chop the peppers and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add in the shallot, garlic, jalapeno and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, till they soften slightly, about 3 min. Don't brown. Add in the minced tomato; turn the heat to high. Stir till most of the moisture evaporates, about 2 min. Add in the peppers and the honey; mix well. Stir in the vinegar and cook till the liquid is reduced by two-thirds, 1 to 2 min. Add in the stock. Gently bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 min.
- Remove from the heat, let cold slightly, place in a blender and puree till smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve. (This can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated. To serve, gently reheat in a medium saucepan.) Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the butter, 1 piece at a time, till melted. Taste; adjust seasoning. Serve warm.
- Combine the honey, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods and cloves in a saucepan (the honey will boil over in a small saucepan). Gently bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer till the honey becomes dark amber-colored, about 15 to 20 min. Remove from the heat. Carefully pour the vinegar into the pot to avoid splattering. Stir well. Pour the mix through a sieve to remove the spices and throw away them. Set aside the honey at room temperature. This makes about 1 c.; you'll have about 3/4 to 1/2 c. leftover for other uses.
- Heat the grill. Lightly brush both sides of the pork chops with the oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Grill the chops over a warm fire, turning as necessary, till they're no longer pink in the center, about 8 min a side. Remove them to a serving platter. Serve hot, brushing both sides of the chops with the honey glaze. Top with the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment