Green Mango Salad
- 1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 x garlic cloves crushed
- 2 x Thai bird chiles stemmed, crushed
- 1 piece lemongrass (2" thick) outer leaves removed, crushed
- 1 x green mango peeled
- 2 Tbsp. Asian garlic chile sauce or possibly sriracha sauce
- 1 lrg grapefruit peeled, sectioned, sections halved
- 1 Tbsp. reserved grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp. pickling liquid see * Note
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - (to 3) Coarse salt to taste Freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 bn curly endive or possibly frise stemmed, torn
- 1 bn watercress stemmed
- 1 x shallot thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 x lemongrass stalk thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 x garlic clove thinly sliced
- 1 x finger chile stem removed, and thinly sliced
- 10 sprg mint leaves
- 10 sprg cilantro leaves cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 10 sprg Thai basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar pickling liquid see * Note
- 1 x diced Thai pickled lemon (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. grated unsweetened coconut
- * Note: Make pickling liquid in a medium saucepan by combining the white vinegar, sugar, crushed garlic, crushed Thai chiles, and crushed lemongrass. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cold.
- Slice down either side of the pit of the mango, leaving you with two halves. Using a mandoline, run the mango lengthwise down the blade leaving you with thin slices. Add in mango to pickling liquid, and pickle for about 30 min.
- Make dressing in a medium-size bowl, combining chile sauce, 1 Tbsp. reserved grapefruit juice, and 1 Tbsp. pickling liquid. Whisk in 2 to 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper. If too warm, add in more pickling liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix endive, watercress, shallot, lemongrass, garlic, chile, mint, cilantro, basil. Toss in half of the grapefruit pcs. Add in dressing to salad, and toss. Drain the pickled mango; set aside.
- Divide salad equally among four plates. Divide the pickled mango equally, and place on top and around greens. Garnish each plate with remaining grapefruit pcs, 1 Tbsp. shredded coconut, Thai pickled lemon, and cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4.
Leave a review or comment