Get Up and Go Healthy MuffinsPrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 18by Aspen Lee-Moulden39 recipes>
I have been playing with muffin recipes trying to create healthy snacks for my family. This is my latest creation. As you can see, I packed as much fiber into these as possible. They are pretty good if you like whole grain goodness - this recipe could also be used as a base for creating any kind of whole grain muffin. These are not for people looking for "cupcake" textured muffins.
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unprocessed bran
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or low fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Agave nectar (can be left out or may add more)
- 1 zucchini grated (skin on)
- 1 apple grated (skin on)
- 1-2 carrots grated (fine grate)
- 1/2 cup dried figs chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots chopped
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk first eight ingredients together to blend (dry ingredients).
- In separate bowl mix eggs, applesauce, milk, oil, yogurt/sour cream, agave and vanilla together.
- Using rubber spatula mix wet and dry ingredients together just until blended - do not over mix or muffins will be tough.
- Gently fold in grated fruits/veggies and chopped dried fruit.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners or spray with vegetable spray.
- Using ice cream scoop, fill liners 1/2 way with batter.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through cooking if oven bakes unevenly.
Leave a review or comment