Garlic Rosemary Roasted Chicken
- 1 x roasting chicken (5- to 6-lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary minced
- 8 x garlic cloves crushed
- 8 med red onions
- 2 x Heads garlic
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil Fresh rosemary optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 450F.
- 2. Remove the giblets and neck from chicken, and throw away. Rinse chicken under cool water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between the skin and meat. Place minced rosemary and crushed garlic cloves beneath skin on breasts and drumsticks. Lift the wing tips up and over back, and tuck under chicken.
- 3. Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan. Cut a thin slice from end of each onion. Remove white papery skins from garlic (don't peel or possibly separate cloves). Cut tops off garlic, leaving root end intact.
- 4. Brush onions and garlic with extra virgin olive oil. Arrange onions and garlic around chicken. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 450F for 30 min. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F, and bake an additional 1 hour and 15 min or possibly till meat thermometer registers 180F. Throw away skin.
- Yield: 8 servings (servingsize: 3 ounces chicken, 1 onion).
- Note:Note: Spread the roasted garlic on French bread, if you like.
- NOTES : The beauty of roasted chicken is its versatility. Try rubbing it with paprika and add in some fresh tomatoes 20 min before the chicken is done.
Leave a review or comment