Fresh Indian Style Vegan Chai
My friend Shikha has been teaching me her indian(southern I think?) recipes, but she uses organic milk, and as all indians do when they take anything hot...LOTS of sugar. I am sure I am not doing it 100% the same way she would, but it tastes nearly the same, and authentic. Thanks Shikha
- ginger root (about 2 inches)
- 1 tbsp cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp cinnamon( fresh grated from sticks)
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a mortar and with a pestle muddle the cardamom then remove pods.
- Add the cloves to the mix and muddle well(these whole indian cloves take a minute!)
- Grate the cinnamon with a fine grater into the morter.
- Peel the ginger then cut into a couple peices and muddle into the morter until all the spices become a paste.
- Boil the water and almond milk, then put the paste into a tea ball and add to boiling mix,let simmer for a few minutes to infuse.
- Remove,remove the ball,add the nectar(or sugar) and pour over a fine strainerinto 2 mugs:)
Leave a review or comment