Fresh Apricot CobblerPrep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 8by Salad Foodie389 recipes>
So much easier than making a pie ~ I love the homey cobbler!!! I prepare apricot cobbler in this order: first measure the cobbler biscuit topping ingredients in bowl, and prepare it just up to AND BEFORE adding the milk; set aside (the milk will be added at the last minute.) Second, prepare the apricot mixture, cook, thicken and pour in casserole dish. Finally stir milk into flour cobbler mixture then spoon dollops of dough all over hot apricot mixture. I freeze fruits in season and use all year long for this classic fruit dessert. Peaches can be substituted for the cots but tend to be juicier. To compensate for this, eliminate the 1/3 cup water in recipe and cut cornstarch to 1 tablespoon. (If you love the cobbler topping, increase it to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 times recipe to the same amount of fruit.
- FRUIT BASE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 pounds fresh apricots, pitted and sliced in 1/2" wedges (about 5 cups)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- COBBLER DOUGH:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons firm butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream topping or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a 2-quart saucepan or small saucepot, mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon thoroughly. Stir in apricots, lemon juice and water.
- Cook over medium high heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir one minute more.
- Pour into ungreased 9" x 9" square or 1.5 quart baking dish; keep apricot mixture hot in oven while preparing biscuit topping.
- In medium bowl, mix 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter using pastry blender until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk.
- Drop dough by large dollops all over hot apricot mixture. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar evenly over top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or a small scoop of ice cream.
Leave a review or comment