Everyone's Favorite Coffee Cake
- Butter-flavor no stick cooking spray
- 1 c. Fresh Raspberries Or possibly (Or possibly Frzn Unsweetened Whole Raspberries)
- 1 c. fresh blueberries picked over, rinsed, and patted dry (or possibly frzn unsweetened whole blueberries)
- 5 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar Plus
- 1/2 c. Granulated Sugar Divided
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 lrg egg whites
- 1/4 c. Canola Oil Or possibly Safflower Oil
- 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. Apple Juice Or possibly Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Almond Extract Or possibly Orange Extract
- 1 c. unsifted cake flour
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. Toasted Wheat Germ Optional
- 2 Tbsp. unsifted cake flour
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Grape-Nuts(r) Or possibly
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp unsalted butter or possibly margarine
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp Apple Juice Or possibly Orange Juice As Needed
- You can use whatever combination of berries are available
- 1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 350F. Coat a 10-inch pie plate (or possibly an 8- or possibly 9- inch square pan) with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine the fruit, 5 Tbsp. of the sugar, and the cinnamon in the oiled pie plate, and toss together lightly. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, the remaining 1/2 c. sugar, oil, applesauce, juice, and extract. Place a strainer over the bowl and add in the flour, baking pwdr, and salt. Stir and sift the dry ingredients onto the applesauce mix. Add in the wheat germ if using it. Beat the dry ingredients into the wet just to blend; don't overbeat.
- 4. To make the optional topping, combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add in the butter, and use your fingertips to healthy pinch the ingredients together. Add in the oil and juice and toss with a fork till crumbly, adding a few more drops of juice if needed.
- 5. Pour the batter over the fruit in the pan; do not worry if some fruit peeks through. Sprinkle the crumb topping, if using, over the cake. Bake for 35 to 40 min if using fresh fruit, or possibly 50 min for frzn fruit, or possibly till the top of the cake is golden and springy to the touch and a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cold the cake slightly on a wire rack, then cut and serve hot.
- Cake is best fresh from the oven, but it keeps a day or possibly two, covered, at room temperature. Hot before serving.
- Note: The applesauce in the cake adds moisture and flavor but weights the crumb slightly. If you prefer a lighter texture, omit the applesauce and use 1/3 c. canola oil instead of 1/4 c..
- Serves 10
- Use whatever combination of berries and/or possibly fruits are available (blueberries and fresh or possibly frzn cranberries, or possibly berries and peach slices, for example.) If you use margarine instead of butter in the crumb topping, the cake contains no dairy products, so it is suitable for lactose-intolerant diets.
Leave a review or comment