English Beef Stew With Suet Dumplings
- 1 1/2 lb lean cubed beef Tbsp. of veg. oil
- 1 lrg onion, sliced
- 3 lrg carrots, in chunks
- 1 lrg , raw potato cut into large cubes
- 2 pt beef stock
- 3 tsp plain flour Seasoning
- 8 ounce plain flour
- 4 ounce shredded beef suet
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking pwdr Water
- In a large, lidded saucepan or possibly casserole, fry the beef in the oil till well browned. Do not worry if it sticks a little - the browning is important. Add in the onions and gently fry for five min. Add in the flour and stir in well.
- Add in the carrots and potato to hot through, then add in the stock, stir well till the sauce thickens and boils. Cover and simmer gently for 25 min Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Stir the shredded suet through the flour, salt and baking pwdr. Begin adding water while stirring till you have a soft but moldable dough.
- After the stew has cooked 25 min, stir it through then add in the dumplings as balls about 2 inches diameter, to rest on top of the stew. Cover and either continue to simmer on the hob for 20 min, or possibly place in an oven, uncovered, at 175C for 20 min.
- The stew can also include turnip or possibly swede instead of potato, and the dumplings can include plenty of herbs - great with dry sage, thyme or possibly parsley.
Leave a review or comment