Eggplant Parmesan (Slow Cooker or Crockpot version)Prep: 30 min Cook: 3.25 hours Servings: 4by Salad Foodie403 recipes>
This recipe based on one from Allrecipes.com served 8 and was cooked in a 5-quart slow cooker. I cut the recipe in half for 4 servings (which is the recipe below.) It cooks well in a 2 1/2 to 3-quart slow cooker. Whichever size you make, I think you’ll like this easy-does it version of yummy Eggplant Parmesan! (Note: Allrecipes.com computes the calories and fat per serving at 345 and 18g respectively, taking into account that only a percentage of the fat is absorbed in frying. The Nutrient facts below do not take this into consideration.)
- 2 eggplants (total 2.25 pounds) peeled if desired and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as needed
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 3 tablespoons dried seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce (16 ounces)
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese, divided
- Place eggplant slices in large bowl in layers, sprinkling each layer with some of the salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Pat slices dry on paper towels.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Meanwhile, whisk egg with water and flour in a bowl until smooth. Dip eggplant in batter, then fry in hot oil, turning once until golden brown. Remove eggplant in batches while they cook and place on wire rack.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan in a bowl.
- Place 1/3 of eggplant slices into a 2.5 to 3-quart slow cooker. Top with 1/3 of the crumb mixture, 1/3 of the marinara sauce and 2 ounces of sliced mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times. (Reserve last 2 ounces of mozzarella cheese to add right before serving.)
- Cover and cook on Low until tender and flavors have blended, about 3 hours or more (depending on crockpot.)
- Dish onto serving plates or platter while hot and top each serving with 1/2 ounce of reserved mozzarella slice.
- (NOTE: If recipe is doubled to make 8 servings using a 5-quart slow cooker, make four layers of eggplant, crumb mixture, marinara and mozzarella cheese and cook about 4 hours on Low.)
Leave a review or comment