Slow Cooker Sunday Gravy
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage links
- 2 TBSPs tomato paste
- 4 beef short ribs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. rigatoni or ziti
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until brown all over, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the sausage set aside.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until brick red, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Add to slow cooker.
- Add the short ribs, Italian herbs, garlic, crushed tomatoes, onions, 1 tablespoon salt and some pepper into the slow cooker. Stir.
- Add the cooked sausage.
- Cover the cooker, set it on low and cook until the beef is very tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage and beef to a cutting board, slice into serving portions add back into the gravy.
- Toss the pasta with some of the sauce and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the meat and pasta with the Parmesan and remaining sauce on the side.
- Freeze any leftover sauce for up to 1 month
Leave a review or comment