Double - Triple Carrot CakePrep: 30 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 16by Sarah Reid2 recipes>
Twice the nuts and triple the fruits are stuffed into this moist, subtly spicy and perfectly sweet carrot cake. Buttermilk and macadamia nuts up the deliciousness, and flax seed provides some extra nutrition while cutting down on the cholesterol from eggs. Makes two 10" rounds.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup long-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 10" pans.
- Whisk together flours, oats, almonds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flax seed and water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add egg and sugars and beat until creamy.
- Beat in buttermilk, oil, applesauce, pineapple, strawberries, ginger and vanilla.
- Gently but thoroughly beat in flour mixture.
- Fold in carrots and chopped macadamia nuts.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until tests done.
- Allow to cool 1 hour minimum before turning out of pans and cooling completely.
Leave a review or comment